Sunday, October 13, 2013

"It's a Magical World...Let's Go Exploring"


Loved ones!

It has been too long since we updated the blog.  Ahh too much to say.  Not to worry, we won’t bore you all with details. 

TOO COOL FOR SCHOOL

     Life has been pretty great on the west coast (of Spain).  Never thought I’d say that I live on the west coast.  We have been busier lately with school.  Also, Robin started teaching private English lessons to four different young lads here (all middle school boys).  I will start my lessons with an adult woman who does not know a lick of English this week.  I admire her ambition!

     Since I helped teach English in a third grade classroom when I was in Toledo, I was better prepared with what to expect in the Spanish system than Robin.  The kids watch so many American t.v. shows and movies as well as listen to American pop songs that they have a pretty solid image formed in their mind of what the typical American is like.  They think we’re very wealthy and that we know famous people.  One of my students asked if I personally knew Justin Bieber.  Yup, he lives right down the block from me! Oh kids.  Also, there is not as much of a professional relationship between the students and teacher. The students do show respect to the teacher…just in different ways.  For instance, one of my students greets me with a kiss on the cheek every day.  I observed the other teacher to note whether I should explain to her that it’s appropriate to give her mom and dad kisses on the cheek at home; however, kisses are not for school.  I found out that this student likes to greet many teachers with a kiss on the cheek.

     The students were very interested in my presentation to them about our interests and where we’re from.  They especially got a kick out of pictures I found when I did a google search of “crazy Packers fans wearing cheeseheads.”  They thought Snuggles and Indy were so “sweet.”  They thought my picture of macaroni and cheese from the annual St. Norbert Soul Food dinner looked delicious, yet they cringed at the picture I showed them of my favorite candy, Reese’s Peanut Butter cups.  Peanut butter is not really sold in stores here.

     The students’ English levels are pretty low.  Nevertheless, I am still impressed with them since they are in third, fourth, fifth, and sixth grade.  I didn’t even know that hola meant when I was that age.  So far, all I have heard them confidently say is “Hello, my name is ________,’  “How are you?”  and “I love you, Alyssa.”  Don’t worry, only the third graders say that.  Also, they learn British English.  It’s going to take some getting used to saying ‘felt tip’ instead of ‘pen.’

THE FIRST ANNUAL CALVIN AND HOBBES DAY
     Robin, being the sensible man that he is, brought many books in English to Spain.  To cure the pangs of homesickness, we read comics from Calvin and Hobbes before bed each night.  Unfortunately, we are almost finished with the second book, and he only brought two.  Anyway, for those of you who haven’t read Calvin and Hobbes, Calvin is the world’s smartest and most spirited six year old.  Together with his tiger, Hobbes, the dynamic duo are constantly searching for adventures. 

 

     In honor of the gift of life, we chose to celebrate it by spending the day at Las Islas Cíes, which is a protected natural park.  It was beautiful! Pictures just don’t do justice. I’ve always dreamed of seeing pristine blue waters, and my dreams finally came true.  We walked three out of the four trails and our calves definitely feel it today. 

the ferry we took to the island

Almost there. Just keep going!

now we can rest...what a hike, but what a view!

At the top of another viewpoint, we spotted the lighthouse that we had just hiked up to.

First Annual Calvin and Hobbes Day = success!

Robin pausing to take a break and read Stephen King's "It"

Are we in The Shire from Lord of the Ring's ?

Hooray! Crystal clear blue waters 

pretty cold, but so beautiful!

Working out in the outdoor public workout park. How motivating! 

     On a random note, Robin and I were reading out on our porch late one night and we heard galloping.  For some reason, we both must have been so engrossed in what we were reading that in our minds the sound of galloping was normal and we didn’t look up.  All of a sudden, we both looked up and were astonished to see a man riding his horse alongside the beach at midnight.  He did a loop and then came back our way, and this time the horse went in the water.  We’ve been spending a lot of time out on the deck these nights hoping to see the midnight rider once again. 

Also, cooking has been challenging and fun here in Spain.  Here’s one successful dish so far:  Chicken Sautéed in Olive oil & garlic and the famous torilla española



DAILY LIFE IN VILAGARIA

When the sun is out, it seems our clothes dry in minutes
We woke up one morning to find the ocean had receded about 100 yards
The fresh produce section of the weekend farmer's market. We bought onions and carrots :)

Love and Blessings,
Alyssa and Robin


No comments: